There are two types of qualifications that can be funded through a successful Funza Lushaka bursary application 2023. The applicants can apply as undergraduates or graduates.
Undergraduates vs graduates
- Undergraduate studies: 4-year Bachelor of Education degree (BEd), specialising in Foundation Phase (Grade R – 3), Intermediate Phase (Grade 4 – 6) and Senior and Further Education and Training Teaching (Grade 7-12).
- Post-Graduate studies: One-year Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) for graduates whose degrees reflect two priority subjects where one module/course was successfully completed or studied at the third-year level while the second priority subject was successfully completed or studied at the second-year level.
N.B. Only the Post Graduate Certificate in Education (Grade 7-12) will be funded through the Funza Lushaka Bursary 2023 Scheme.
Funza Lushaka bursary application 2023 dates
Here are the important dates.
- 17/10/2022: Applications for the Funza Lushaka bursary for 2023 will open
- 30/11/2022: Re-applications for Existing/Returning Bursars close
- 16/01/2023: New applications close
Requirements for Funza Lushaka Bursary Qualification
- The bursary is only awarded to South African citizens with a valid South African ID number;
- The applicant should demonstrate good academic ability;
- Applicants should be 30 years and below to qualify for the Funza Lushaka Bursary
- Allocation of Funza Lushaka bursaries to Higher Education Institution employees, their spouse and their dependents/children is not permissible.
- The Funza Lushaka bursary does not fund extended programmes.
- The applicant must be accepted into an approved BEd degree or PGCE programme to specialise in two or more of the priority areas.
- The applicant should demonstrate good academic ability.
- The applicant must show commitment to a teaching career, which includes: interest in working with young people; enthusiasm for a professional career in teaching; readiness to face and surmount difficult challenges and personal integrity.
- The applicant must be committed to teach in any school to which a student may be placed by a Provincial Education Department (PED).
How to register and apply for the Funza Lushaka Bursary
All first-time applicants must be 30 years or younger to apply for Funza Lushaka Bursary. Follow the step below to register and login.
- Open the e-Gov portal at www.eservices.gov.za
- Register by providing personal information
- Login to the system using user name and password created when registering
- On the e-Services Menu select Funza Lushaka Bursary Scheme
- Enter the OTP received on the preferred channel
- Accept the Terms and Conditions
- On the dashboard, menu click on the 2023 application button
- Follow the steps to complete the required field with your information
- Accept the declaration to confirm the information captured
For more information visit the link above.
Recommended reading – SOUTH AFRICA SCHOOL HOLIDAY DATES 2023